It has been more than three weeks since I have been able to post on this blog. The time has flown by. Melissa and I are still in the process of unpacking in Dallas. I did want to acknowledge that I am still here and hope to begin posting much more frequently in the next week or so. I also wanted to thank those of you who have left very thoughtful comments in the last three weeks. I am sorry I have not had a chance to respond to them. I will make an effort to respond to them as well as things settle down a bit here.
Here are some highlights of what has happened since I last posted:
- Annual Conference was from May 25th – May 29th
- May 25th my brother flew in from D.C. and I got to introduce him to my daughter Bethany.
- May 28th one of my mentors, Doug Strong, flew in from Seattle to be a part of the ordination service.
- May 28th I was ordained an elder in full connection in the Oklahoma Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church
- May 29th Melissa, Bethany, and I returned to Lamont and continued packing.
- May 30th I played golf one last time and Melissa and I had a very enjoyable meal with dear friends.
- June 1st was my last Sunday in Lamont. It was very hard to say goodbye, but we had a very nice fellowship dinner after the service where Melissa, Bethany, and I were loved on by the wonderful people we have been blessed to serve with.
- June 2nd: Moving Day. Some highlights – We showed up at the Penske pick-up location to pick up the truck we had rented, and were told was guaranteed to be there, and were immediately told it was not there. (More on this in a future post.) I had to drive to U-Haul and rent a truck from them. Thanks be to God there was a truck available in the size that we needed and the person working there was amazingly kind and helpful. We were packed and on the road by 1:30 or so. It was hard to walk out of the empty parsonage for the last time, a place where we had so many firsts and memories. We spent the night with Melissa’s parents in Norman.
- June 3rd: Unloading Day. We got up at 5:30 and drove to Dallas. Melissa and I signed the lease and we began unloading the U-Haul. We were done by about 2:00. I think the high was about 95*… H-O-T! When we were done there was barely room to stand in the apartment.
- June 4th noticed centipedes kept appearing in the apartment.
- June 6th woke up to the sound of running water. There was a crack in the ceiling of the guest bathroom and water was pouring through it. Maintenance arrived in less than an hour and a half (the water stopped running when the people above us finished their shower) and the leak was fixed in another thirty minutes. Later that day, the exterminator came to keep the centipedes on their side of the walls.
- June 8th we thought all morning about Lamont United Methodist Church. It is really strange to go from leading a worship service every week for three years to just being a visitor in a mega church in upscale Dallas. (We went to the contemporary worship service at Highland Park United Methodist Church, it is called Cornerstone.) This morning Melissa and I prayed for Lamont UMC and for its new pastor. We pray for God’s blessings upon them all.